PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

She's trying to eat everything and she just threw up, No I'm

Customer Question

She's trying to eat everything and she just threw up
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No I'm a truck driver and she has a limited space and I'm careful about what's on the floor
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: She's up to date on her shots
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: Shed usually fine this is really upsetting me
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. It appears that the Expert you were hoping to speak with is not currently available. I have stepped in to assist you in their absence. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) How old is your girl?
2) What is her name?
3) Does she have a history of GI upset?
4) Any human food or all commercial food?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Shes3 Sadie she does throw up yellow stuff at times almost all dog food I did give her some chicken today
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She's up to date on her shots

The chicken might be part of the reason that she's vomiting. It's not uncommon for human food to cause this with dogs; they're not nearly as used to the regular dietary changes that people are.

So long as she's not diabetic, it's safe to pick up both her food and water for about 6 hours. Whenever you're able, she can take a single dose of famotidine (see dosage here: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) to help calm her stomach. As soon as the 6 hours as passed, she should be feeling much better. You can then introduce small amounts of her regular food and small amounts of water slowly over a few hours. You can give her progressively more as time goes on until she's eating the full amount that she'd normally eat. If her vomiting persists over 12 hours, it's a good idea to have her examined by a veterinarian and given an injectable medication for nausea which will work whether she's vomiting or not.

If my answer has helped you, please take the time today to leave positive feedback for me. This is the only way that I will be compensated for assisting you. Your satisfaction is my primary focus, so if questions remain please respond so that I may finish answering your question before you rate my service.