Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My pup ate about 1.2mg of chromium picolinate ( each capsule

Customer Question

Hi
My pup ate about 1.2mg of chromium picolinate ( each capsule is 200mcg and there were about 6-7 capsules). Additionally, I had another supplement in the bag Vandal Sulfate which contains 20mg of Niacin and 20mg of Vanadyl sulfate (there were about 3-4 capsules of that and looks like she didn't eat all but one). Is there any reason to worry that she has had an overdose?
She's about 14 lbs and 11 months
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 8 months ago.

Hello Eileen,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Eileen,

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. I would not be too worried about this incident, Arya should be just fine and there are no special measures you need take.

2. You see Chromium picolinate is sometimes prescribed in dogs and the dosage can be as high as 20 mg per kg of the dog's bodyweight { your dog weighs 6.36 kg } so you can see there is little concern. Also Niacin a B group vitamin is very non toxic to dogs even in very large amounts and I would not be too concerned about the Vanadyl sulfate as a one off dose.

3. However I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the very unlikely event that Arya's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Eileen,

I am just checking back in to see how Arya is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the chromium picolinate ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott