Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My one dog is fine and loves riding in my car. My other dog

Customer Question

My one dog is fine and loves riding in my car. My other dog doesn't want to get in the car, and pants while we're riding. However, he doesn't tremble. They're both Norwich Terriers.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Like what?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 8 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today since the expert your requested does not seem to be available right now.

Panting is a sign of stress, pain or even nausea. Now a dog might have nausea but not vomit much like many humans have. Sometimes if that is the case, letting a dog sit in the front seat where they can see out the front helps with motion sickness. Some people use Benadryl to calm their dog before car travel and Dramamine is also used for motion sickness, but your Vet should be consulted before using Dramamine. Benadryl can be given to your dog, the dose is up to 2mg per pound every 8 hours. The dosage for Dramamine (Dimenhydrinate) for motion sickness is 2-4 mg/pound by mouth every 8 hours.

Any medication should be given an hour in advance to car trip in order to be effective. If you are not using doggy seat belts, then that might help the situation as the dog might be less anxious when it finds the belt keeps it from moving too far in the car at stops and turns. Often a crate just large enough for the dog can help a dog that is uncomfortable in the car. Many dogs love their crates and they feel more secure in the crate.

Now you might also try a dap collar. These use a pheromone much like the one a nursing mom uses to calm her pups. They are proven to help in cases of noise phobia, separation anxiety and car anxiety, so this is a good choice. They are sold in pet stores, vet offices and online.
vetmedicine.about.com/od/behaviortraining/gr/DAP-Dog-Collar.htm

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I don't want to give my dog Benadryl for a half hour ride. DAP collars are expensive and don't last long. I'm not satisfied with your answer.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I feel that I've wasted $14.00.

Dap collars are like $15 which isn't too bad considering how much they help an anxious dog. And if a dog is experiencing motion sickness, dramamine would be a better choice of medication than benadryl. All I can do is offer you suggestions to make your dog less anxious and possibly experience less nausea. I can not make you try a suggestion. You have the obvious solution of leaving the dog home rather than make them uncomfortable riding in the car. By comparison, a little panting is not too bad considering many dogs are very anxious and can not settle and often even vomit. If you are unwilling to try anything to help your dog, then he will continue to pant when taking rides.