Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

Sally, I recently moved to a new apartment. At our old

Customer Question

Hi Sally, I recently moved to a new apartment. At our old house, my one and a half year old schnauzer/poodle mix was potty trained and did not eliminate inside the house. Since our move, he has gone number one and two inside the apartment's living room (and only the living room) every chance he gets. I believe that he knows this is a no-no because he will never do it if I am looking or in the same room, but as soon as I turn my back or leave the room he goes. He is walked about two miles twice a day and sometimes I have to wait up to ten minutes for him to sniff around and go number two outside. But inside the house, as soon as he's left alone in the living room, he goes. What are the necessary steps I should take to rectify this?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 9 months ago.

Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry but Sally is not available but I would like to help.

This behavior is due to the stress of this new environment and this is causing anxiety to Bentley causing him to act out. The first thing is to purchase a DAP Collar at the pet store which acts as a calming agent to decrease Bentleys anxiety.

Take Bentley to your vet to be sure there is not a medical cause for this behavior.

If this is ruled out, make sure to never allow Bentley alone in the house near any of the areas that he had soiled. Renewing the crate training will really help so that you can get him out as soon as he wakes. If you see him doing this , do not discipline him and then when he goes outside, praise him profusely and possibly give treats.

Remember, this is caused by anxiety and not bad behavior so the point is to decrease his anxiety. Your vet will have anti anxiety medications to help if the DAP Collar is not enough to get sweet Bentley past this. Keeping Bentley in a crate or on a leash and never leaving him alone in a room will get him back to what he used to be since the anxiety will decrease.

This LINK will explain in more detail.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****

Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 8 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bentley. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta