Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My name is ***** *****. ShihTzu, 10yr old. Last kept food

Customer Question

My name is ***** *****. ShihTzu, 10yr old. Last kept food down 2da ago. Tried
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Sorry, hit send in error. Tried rice and baby food, beef, last night; kept it
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 8 months ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....

Has he had any new foods, treats or people food?

So last night he kept down what?

How is he acting other than the vomiting?

Is he urinating and defecating normally?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No new foods. Saturday he ate nothing, yesterday nothing until late when we obtained baby food and mixed with rice.
He ate that, kept it down for over an hour, so we gave him 2 tblspoons more at bedtime. This morning he threw up
what looked like everything he had yesterday. Acting pretty normal, somewhat quieter. Normal urination and defecation,
altho nothing solid to defecate. Ideas?
Expert:  Lisa replied 8 months ago.

Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

Because this has only been going on for a very short amount of time, and since from your answers, we can rule out things like ingestion of a toxin, intestinal obstruction due to eating something non-food, and pancreatitis from eating greasy people food, I think we should just treat it like a case of simple digestive upset.
The gold standard for treatment of digestive upset in a dog is fasting. Generally the problem is acute (meaning it comes on quickly) and can be taken care of without much trouble.

If this were my dog, I'd fast him for 24 hours (providing he doesn't have any underlying diseases such as diabetes that require he eat every few hours). No treats, no food, nothing. You can leave a small amount of water available, but don't allow him to drink too much at one time (placing ice cubes in his bowl so that he can't gulp water will help).

After the 24 hours, I'd offer a bland diet of boiled rice and boiled hamburger (3 parts rice to 1 part burger) in VERY small amounts (perhaps 1-2 tablespoons every hour or so) for the next 24 hours. Once you start feeding the rice mixture, monitor the dog for recurring vomiting. If the problem doesn't start again, you can begin slowly mix in his kibble over the next few days until you're back to just kibble.

If the digestive upset persists for more than another day or so, or if your dog becomes lethargic, begins to have blood in the vomit, starts having bloody diarrhea or shows other 'unusual' signs, you should have him seen by a vet, just to rule out any sort of illness or parasite infection, but as a general rule, this clears up with just the fasting and then bland diet.

I hope this helps.