Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

Dog is 14 yr old and is on kidney medds and special food.

Customer Question

Dog is 14 yr old ***** ***** and is on kidney medds and special food. Started acting as if trying to cough something up and the gags at end. Has done this occasionally before but now this has been going on since 3am. She makes an almost squawking sound, then pants heavily at a very rapid pace. Her breathing sounds like there is something in her throat. She will do this, pant heavily, almost quit and then starts over. My vet opens at 9 and there is no after hours vet here. She ate okay at 10pm, I gave her meds at 3am (she has these with small amount of yogurt and small amt peanut butter on tablet. Had no trouble taking meds but then started this nonstop gagging and funny breathing sound about 20 mins after and hasn't stopped. If I hold her she is very still but does not stop. I put her in her bed and she stood up a while then lay down and is doing the weirded breathing.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 9 months ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have a couple questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible.....

Does it look anything like either one of these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WThsZp6ymvo&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdnGNClqdX0

Have you noticed any blue tinge to her lips or tongue?

Do you notice any noises in her chest when she's coughing or breathing rapidly?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My dog died about an hour ago
Expert:  Lisa replied 9 months ago.

I am so sorry to hear that. I'll alert the mods and have them close this question.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank u
Expert:  Lisa replied 9 months ago.

You're welcome.