Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

Yesterday my 11 year old Old English Sheepdog was doing

Customer Question

Hello. Yesterday my 11 year old Old English Sheepdog was doing well. After I came home from dinner last night, she was confused and walking into things. She walks around then just stands there and has a hard time sitting/laying down. She seems unsteady on her feet. She is still eating, drinking and doing her business.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: no wound.
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Sophie.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sophie?
Customer: She had surgery for bloat a month and a half ago, but came through it well. She's on Rovera for arthritis.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 9 months ago.

Hello, thank you for using this site to help you with your problem. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years .

Given her age what you may be seeing is what is known as old dog disease or the correct term is vestibular disease. This is when the dog is off balance, unsteady on the feet. This comes on either due to an inner ear problem or it is idiopathic which is often the case in older dogs. But to be sure you will want to have your vet check the ears. Vestibular usually goes away in a few weeks, but do have the ears checked also.

Here is more on Vestibular disease http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/brain-spinal-cord-nerves/vestibular-disease-in-dogs

Confusion in older dogs can also be from Canine cognitive dysfunction and since she just came out of surgery a month ago, this may have sped up what was already happening. I would keep an eye out for other unusual signs and ask your vet to have a look for this. I would also video tape what you are seeing on your cell phone and bring that in with you at the next vet appointment because sometimes what happens at home cannot be seen at a vet office as a dog is nervous or feels just fine at that moment.

This breed is also prone to retinal atrophy which causes blindness . You can read more on symptoms here http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/eyes/progressive-retinal-degeneration-in-dogs

Of curse given her age a growth inside the brain that is pushing on a central nerve could be the cause. You won't know for sure until the Vet takes a look.