Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have 2 two day old puppies with very dark bloody stools.

Customer Question

I have 2 two day old puppies with very dark bloody stools. They are the smallest puppies in the litter - three other puppies don't have this problem. Had a C-section on Friday and Mom is on pain meds. Wondering if this could be problem. All the puppies have gained weight and don't seem to be in any pain. No crying, etc. Will be calling my vet in the am and taking in sample but am wondering if I should tube these two puppies with formula for now.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about My?
Customer: No not really and as I said, they are not crying or seem to be in any pain.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr B replied 11 months ago.

HI this is DRB. Are you available for chat?

Expert:  Dr B replied 11 months ago.

Ok, I have to go offline so I will turn this over to another expert. Sincerely, DRB

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

I'll follow up for Dr. B for you. If these pups are nursing well, formula would be likely to cause unnecessary gastrointestinal distress on top of whatever is causing the dark bloody stools and so would be contraindicated. The only reason to remove them from the teat would be if their milk were contaminated which doesn't sound likely if the other three pups are doing well. Similarly, the pain medication should affect all of them. Parasitism and both bacterial and viral infection are the significant differential diagnoses for their stools. I would expect their vet to run a fecal ova and parasite exam, treat as indicated by the results of that exam and initiate a broad spectrum antibiotic such as amoxicllin/clavulanate.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.