Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

This is ***** ***** and I'm concerned about my 8 year old

Customer Question

Hi- this is ***** ***** and I'm concerned about my 8 year old male golden named Hunter. After running extensive bloodwork, my vet can't find the reason for my 8 year old golden's sudden onset of lethargy. Last night he was running around chasing his ball. Today he just looks at us. He won't eat so the vet gave him fluids under the skin and a shot for nausea just in case. What am I missing in an otherwise healthy dog? Oh- the also checked for fluid around his heart, lungs and stomach- nothing.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: This is a sudden onset of lethargy. Yesterday he was himself, today he did not want to play or eat- just sleep.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 9 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Hunter. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

It would help me to know what tests have been done in the extensive bloodwork. Was his thyroid function tested? Hypothyroidism can be seen in this breed. Was he tested for pancreatitis? That could cause his symptoms, and is not always part of some blood panels.

Was an abdominal ultrasound done to look at his liver, spleen, internal lymph nodes? If his blood test did include thyroid and pancreas testing that is the next thing I would do.

Is Hunter neutered? I would check his prostate gland if not.

Is he drinking a normal amount of water, or more than normal? Did the shot for nausea improve his appetite?

Did he have a fever when he was seen at your vet?

Blood tests tell us a lot, but there are many things we can't diagnose with blood tests. It would help me to see what blood tests were done and what tests were not done. If blood tests do not tell us where is problem is, the next step to me is an abdominal ultrasound.

If you look at his gums, are they pink in color?

Any vomiting at all?

Since I can't see or examine him, the more you can tell me the more I can help.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Gums are pink, no fever, tested his thyroid function-all within normal range. Still not eating, not neutered. I'd rule out pancreatitis. No vomiting or diarrhea-I watched one of my Yorkies have that disease. The ultrasound that was done just checked for fluids- it was the very small one. He does look a little better but def not himself
Expert:  Rebecca replied 9 months ago.

Good that his gums are pink.

Was pancreatitis tested for? Sometimes all you see is loss of appetite.

I would next do a full abdominal ultrasound if he were mine. Something is wrong if he is not eating and if blood tests do not tell where the problem is then you need to keep looking.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 9 months ago.

How is Hunter doing? Can I answer any other questions?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
When we finally saw our regular vet, he was able to see that Hunter had shifted his weight and was compensating for his bad hips. We upped his medication of deramax and saw a marked improvement. We lost Hunter's brother, Molson to a fast moving cancer a couple of years ago so we are always concerned when Hunter is not himself.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 9 months ago.

I can imagine you worry, after what happened to Molson. I am glad to hear it was something so easy to correct.

Let me know if I can help with or answer anything else. Thank you for the update.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 8 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?