Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Stomach seems bloated and he won't pee. He's 9, and a German

Customer Question

Stomach seems bloated and he won't pee. He's 9, and a German shepherd
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Duke. We can't take him to the vet cause their closed or animal hospital either because it's a very expensive down payment.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Duke?
Customer: He's had issues with blood work. High white blood cell count and some other stuff. But he's been in prednisone which keeps it leveled out and he gets blood work done every 2 weeks and it's been normal. A while back they thought they felt a mass in his stomach took an X-ray and saw something abnormal, but the next visit the mass was gone and nothing on the X-ray. Vet said it could have been his spleen or something in the way.
JA: Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I need to know if Duke isn't able to pee or just isn't trying. If he's trying and nothing is coming out his urethra is likely to be obtructed by a urolith (stone) or perhaps an enlarged prostate gland and he needs to attention of a vet at your earliest convenience. If he just isn't trying, he's not forming enough urine to stimulate the micturation (the process of urinating) process.