Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

She is limping on her right nd leg, having problems getting

Customer Question

She is limping on her right hind leg, having problems getting up. She is not showing pain, but a littetenderness around the hipmarea. She is 12 and a little overweight.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Polly
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Polly?
Customer: No, she is a retired working dog. Never had ang sicknesses. Immunizations up to date. Just started limping a few days ago.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr B replied 8 months ago.

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this.....I wold like to know the breed of your dog as that would help. But I will tell you that most hind limb lameness's are due to the stifle joint or knee. I am a DVM certified in rehab and knees are typically the source of the problem and usually it is due to ACL or cranial cruciate ligament disease.

That would be more common than an actual hip problem. But that is not to say that it could not be the hip. An ortho exam should be done by a vet knowledgeable in ortho problems....so you can get a definitive answer on whether it is hip or knee.

If the knee is affected then surgery is the only option. If it is hip then medcial treatment may help. IF you can see your vet to figure out where the problem is then I can help tell you what should be done next. Sincerely, DRB

Please rate my answer as that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up questions! Thank you very much!

Expert:  Dr B replied 8 months ago.

Please let me know if you need additional help. Sincerely, DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 8 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr B