Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

He is 7 months old and being treated URI, on antibiotics but

Customer Question

He is 7 months old and being treated for a URI, on antibiotics but has a rather nasty cough this evening, is there anything I can give him that will help relieve his cough?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: My vet is not open on the weekends or after hours and I live in a very rural area so there are no emergency or after hour clinics for animals available.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: No he has been seen within the past two days, all shots are to date, eating and drink fine, just coughing
JA: Our top Veterinarian is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Veterinarian in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Veterinarian until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

Sorry to hear your dog is unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Robitussin DM ( Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin ) which is an over the counter product can safely used to treat minor coughing symptoms in dogs from various causes.

2. A suitable dose rate would be 0.5 mg per pound of your dog's bodyweight and it can be given every 8 hours orally. There are various formulations but in the case of the liquid formulation if you look on the bottle it will say how many mg are in each ml of the product.

3. Make sure however that it is the ‘DM’ product which does not contain other ingredients such as sudephedrine.

4. Be aware that this medication can cause some mild sedation in some dogs.

3. Here is a link to an accurate article which covers how this drug is used in dogs in more depth : LINK

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his cough ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott