Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian
49838867

She has diarrhea and is eating grass, She has diarrhea and

Customer Question

She has diarrhea and is eating grass
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: She has diarrhea and is eating grass just want to make she she's okay or anything I can do to help her.
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: Her stomach
JA: OK. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Zoe 5 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Zoe?
Customer: She ate some tuna the other day that's all I could think of
JA: The Veterinarian will know if Zoe will be able to digest that. Our top Veterinarian is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Veterinarian in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Veterinarian until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

I am very sorry to hear about your pup Zoe's eating grass, and diarrhea.

Dogs with nausea or gastroesophageal acid reflux often eat grass or foreign material to make themselves vomit. They will often swallow repeatedly and lick things trying to soothe their nausea and acid burn. If they can rid themselves of whatever is irritating their stomach that way then all is good.

But when their stomach upset persists and they continue to be uncomfortable then we need to stop them from eating any more grass. It becomes a vicious cycle where the more they vomit the more it irritates their stomach and the worse they feel.

Possible causes of nausea and diarrhea causing grass eating include a change in diet, dietary sensitivities or allergies, or eating things that they should not like too many fatty table scraps or garbage, bones etc. Addison's which is a poorly functioning adrenal gland is another possibility for waxing and waning vomiting and nausea. If she's a younger pup metabolic organ failures (kidney or liver disease), pancreatitis, inflammatory bowel disease or even infiltrative cancers are possible causes but less likely.

If she doesn't get many table foods very often perhaps the tuna did trigger this.

You can give her acid reducers to try and settle her stomach. Either:

1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one half of a 10mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one half of a 20mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.

These will reduce stomach acid and should help settle her stomach. These can be used for several days if necessary as they are very safe.

I'd also pick up her food and water for now. A couple hours after an acid reducer is given you can offer small amounts of water or ice cubes to lick. She's likely thirsty but we need to settle her stomach first.

No food for 24 hours. Small amounts of water only.

Today even with the fast you can start Kao-pectate at 1ml per pound or 1 tablespoon per 15 pounds of body weight every 6 to 8 hours. This is quite safe and will coat her irritated gi tract as well as absorbing bacterial toxins. You can use it for several days until her stools look normal. You can find kao-pectate at the drug store. I like the kao-pectate formulation with kaolin and pectin better then Pepto Bismol as Pepto has salicylates which are in the same family as aspirin, and can further irritate the intestines.

After her 24 hour food fast then start a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger (or boiled, white, skinless chicken) and 2/3 boiled white rice. If she has a little blood or mucous in her stools add 1-2 tablespoon of canned pumpkin (not pie filling, just pumpkin) to each meal as fiber helps soothe an irritated colon. I recommend adding probiotics like Fortiflora, Proviable or Benebac to her meals daily to re-establish normal gut bacteria levels too. Give small meals several times a day. Feed the bland diet for several days, then start mixing in her regular diet and slowly convert her back.

Once she feels better (no diarrhea for 48 hours) start mixing in her regular dog food very slowly. Less bland more regular with each day. It should take a week or so to convert her back.

If her diarrhea or nausea continues then she may need injectable medication from her veterinarian to get her stomach upset under control.

Even if she seems to improve it is well worth checking at least a couple fresh stool samples too as parasite eggs/cysts are shed intermittently and they may be picked up on the second sample or third test if the first is negative.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Okay I already before asking this question fed her some boiled chicken and white rice she went outside at some grass and then threw the food up and now is sleeping. So I shouldn't feed her for 24 hours ?
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 9 months ago.

Sorry I missed your reply earlier.

Yes, do not feed her for 24 hours, and start one of the acid reducers I mentioned when she wakes up. Poor girl sounds like she feels pretty bad.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
She has a bloody residue I saw on her blanket she layed on is that okay?
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 9 months ago.

Is she spayed?

Is the bloody residue coming from her vulva or her anus?

Dogs with bad diarrhea will sometimes strain enough and get a very irritated intestinal lining so that they have a little bleeding.

If we can ease the irritation that should resolve.

But if she is not spayed, the bloody residue came from her vulva and she isn't in heat now we need to worry about a uterine infection.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
She already was in heat earlier but stopped bleeding about a week ago.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 9 months ago.

So the bloody discharge is from her vulva?

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 9 months ago.

Does she seem to be drinking more water than usual?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No it's not she ended her bleeding when she was in heat about a week ago. No really. She just drank a little water
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
At 4 I gave her half the Pepcid before messaging you i already fed her chicken and rice but she ate grass and threw that up so I gave her medicine went to work came back she went out side she diarrhea a little I gave her a bath dried her off she layed on a blanket and there was red blood not a lot. Now she's sleeping
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 9 months ago.

Ok, that's good to hear.

Then it may just be that she has had enough irritation from diarrhea that she has a little bleeding.

You do need to keep a close eye on her, but follow through with my previous instructions and see how she comes along.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Okay is their any warning signs where I would have to take her to the emergency vet?
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 9 months ago.

Yes, if she starts vomiting again, despite the acid reducer, she runs a fever (rectal temperature greater than 103F), refuses to eat the bland diet, has very pale or white gums, or starts drinking an excessive amount of water.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Okay so even if she eats and it causes her to throw up after the 24 hour fast?
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 9 months ago.

Yes, if she starts to eat and again and vomits then she needs to be examined.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Okay thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 9 months ago.

You are very welcome.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Took her to the er last night she had a fever and dehydrated. They tested her to pancreatis they gave her a 24 medicine to not throw up some subcutaneous fluids and some antibiotics. She won't eat though to take the pill
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 9 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear that she has a fever and was dehydrated.

It may help to crush the pill and mix it with a little meat baby food, or clear broth and use a medicine syringe to force it in orally.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 8 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara