Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

He's running a fever he was throwing up earler today and has

Customer Question

He's running a fever he was throwing up earler today and has diareah can I give him Tylenol for the fever
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: He doesn't usually eat human food and my son dropped a peanut butter and jelly sounds on the floor then he hollered and since then he's been rubbing his butt on the floor puking diarrhea and now his ears feet and testicles are beat red and his ears are on fire
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Didn't know and he is about two-and-a-half years old
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is 2 1/2 years
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bruno?
Customer: That he's running a fever and I need to know what I can give him for it
JA: Our top Veterinarian is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Veterinarian in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Veterinarian until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

The first thing I would do, is check to make sure that he actually has a fever. The normal temperature in dogs is 100-102. A fever is > 103. You will need to use a digital thermometer and take a rectal temperature. If it's high, then we can do something.

Tylenol and Ibuprofen are toxic in dogs, so I wouldn't use them. Aspirin is ok to use, but I don't like to give it when a dog is vomiting.

I would actually use a combination of something to settle the stomach and an anti-histamine for it's anti-inflammatory and anti-fever effects. You can give Benadryl at a dose of 1-2 mg per lb body weight. It can be given every 6-8 hours, as needed. You can also give Pepcid (Famotidine) at a dose of 0.25 mg per lb body weight every 12-24 hours for nausea.

This should help get the temperature down and the vomiting under control. If it's not helping, then I would see a vet for fluid therapy and more specific injectable meds like Cerenia for nausea and Metacam for the fever.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?