Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

12 year old Shitzu developed slight limp. Seems to not be

Customer Question

12 year old Shitzu developed slight limp. Seems to not be willing to walk tonight. On bed in bedroom and when he changes spot to lay seems quite crippled up. Not going to kitchen for food and water. Can tell he is hurting.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Joey. Seems quite crippled up. Slight limp last three months but hard to move tonight
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Joey?
Customer: He was 4 yrs old when we rescued him and has always jumped up on furniture and bed. Which I understand they shouldn't do.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What is happening? Waiting and waiting.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The limp for the past 2-3 months was slight and on one side ,right rear hip or leg. Groomer at vet found no problem with paw or leg joint. Must be hip.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Have placed deposit and waited from 9:11 to 9:45pm. Perhaps someone can text me when conversation in app will take place. Disappointed.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question. I'm sorry about the wait. Later at night there are fewer vets online so it can take a bit longer than we'd like.

I'm a little more concerned with his back. It could be the hip, but back pain is more likely to cause reluctance to jump up and overall just not wanting to move. Like in people, back pain can be pretty crippling and it just hurts to move. Often times these dogs come in with reluctance to jump up, reluctance to do stairs, an arched back and trembling.

The diagnosis is made on neuro exam. We feel for back pain when pressing straight down over each individual spinal segment. We also check neurologic reflexes to make sure the spinal cord signals are processing normally.

Most dogs do well with exercise restriction for 1-2 weeks along with pain management. I typically use a combination of an anti-inflammatory (Rimadyl) + something for nerve pain (Gabapentin).

I would just keep him quiet until you can see your vet. If it does end up feeling like hip pain, x-rays would help. Otherwise, the pain meds and rest should get him back to normal.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?