PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My Maltese has stains around her mouth and. This is new

Customer Question

My Maltese has brown stains around her mouth and butt. This is new behavior in the past 2 months!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the Maltese's name?
Customer: Phebe she is 12
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Phebe?
Customer: She is wonderful
JA: Our top Veterinarian is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Veterinarian in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Veterinarian until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Customer: she is drooling really bad and licking
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. It appears that the Expert you were hoping to speak with is not currently available. I have stepped in to assist you in their absence. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about Phebe?

1) Are you seeing any change in her behavior, such as additional licking?
2) How often is she groomed?
3) Is she currently on any medications?
4) Any recent diet change?
5) Any sensitivity to foods or medications?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she is groomed about every 10 weeks. no new food. no meds. yes she is licking a lot more. and rubbing her butt on the carpet. she seems sad.

Hi Cheryl, thanks for your response.

We most commonly associate this type of behavior with allergies. If she's not already taking a medication to help with the licking, please consider one of the following. I prefer Zyrtec, though she may be too small for it: http://cheyennewest.com/antihistamines-for-dogs-cats/

The dragging of her rear end on the carpet may either be allergies or a signal that she needs to have her anal glands expressed. I would recommend dropping her by the groomer's location or vets office and having them checked. Be sure to ask your groomer if they do this with each groom that she receives. Some groomers don't offer the service.

Once she's feeling better, you can use a product like Eye Envy, who had a beard and foot protocol to whiten stained coats: http://eyeenvy.com/ear-nose-and-beard-systems/

If my answer has helped you, please take the time today to leave positive feedback for me. This is the only way that I will be compensated for assisting you. Your satisfaction is my primary focus, so if questions remain please respond so that I may finish answering your question before you rate my service.

Hi Cheryl,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
PitRottMommy