PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

Just took a tick off my 1 year old peekapoo today. It was

Customer Question

Just took a tick off my 1 year old peekapoo today. It was engorged. Vet receptionist said to wait 2 months and then have Bloodwork to see if has Lyme. Is there anything I should do before that?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: That's all.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
He has been fatigued all week and twitching a lot in his sleep and throwing up
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
After we removed it he seems ok and energetic and eating
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Oh... He had the Lyme vaccination June 2015
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for your question. Can you answer some additional questions for me on him?

1) In what state do you live?
2) Is this the first tick you've seen?
3) What flea/tick prevention is being used?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I live in Pa. It is the first tick I found on my dog. I had ticks on my clothing 2 years ago but I got them off quick. This is the first time I ever saw one all filled with a sac that was gray and bubbly. Last year I used frontline plus all year but ended up with fleas in September and October that it did not work on. In November I tried seresto collar and my dog got so sick he couldn't walk and was very aggressive. I took it off and have been afraid to use anything all winter. So I have put nothing on since November. I planned on trying something else when it gets warm but I better now.

Thanks for your reply.

The receptionist has educated you properly that you must wait a few months before checking for tick borne diseases. The best thing to do in the meanwhile is prevent more from attaching. It can be a tough thing to find a product that works for a companion, especially one that doesn't have a super short coat. It can be hard to find the ticks before they're attached and engorged.

Lyme disease is rampant in your area, so it's good that you opted for the lyme vaccine. Unfortunately, no vaccine will prevent every case of lyme so it is important to check. In an area such as your own, annually testing your dog would be wise (this is typically done at the time of annual vaccines through a small sample of blood, although your vet may wish to send out blood for a more specific titer test if he believes your dog is positive).

Since Frontline has not worked for you and Seresto has not worked for you, I would recommend talking to your vet about starting a product that's relatively new (where fleas and ticks aren't yet immune, as you commonly see with Frontline and similar products). There's also a tick collar on the market that does nothing for fleas but can help if you find yourself in an area where ticks are a major problem. I'd look into Nexgard to be used with or without a preventic collar: http://www.amazon.com/PREVENTIC-Tick-Collar-SINGLE-COLLAR/dp/B00076KR9G The nexgard is a single tablet that is given as flea and tick prevention; it works for 30 days. With a dog as sensitive as your own, it may be that a tablet won't work either, however I've seen great success with clients who have dogs that are sensitive to flavoring and medications and they've done quite well on Nexgard. With that said, if your companion does do poorly on it the company has been very good about refunding the expense of the medication and treating the pet (usually vomiting and/or diarrhea) for problems. The preventic collar can be used on it's own, but does nothing for fleas which would necessitate another product being added in. These types of collars work for up to 3 months.

There's info here, if you'd like it, on the most common treatment protocols for treating lyme disease, should your companion have it or acquire it.

If my answer has helped you, please take the time today to leave positive feedback for me. This is the only way that I will be compensated for assisting you. Your satisfaction is my primary focus, so if questions remain please respond so that I may finish answering your question before you rate my service.