Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a 2.5 year old female boxer that is in first stages

Customer Question

I have a 2.5 year old female boxer that is in first stages of labor, the past 18 hours. No significant pushing...but panting and restlessness....not eating. The pups do not seem to be moving....should I be worried?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: This is her first litter
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $14 after the Veterinarian responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now all the signs your lass is showing are normal for the first stage of labor. Nothing you have indicated about mum is abnormal. Furthermore, while the average dog is in stage one for up to 18 hours, we can see some last up to 24 hours. So, this isn't abnormal either. That said, if you think she is straining at all or the pups lack of movement is out of character for them; then we may need to think about having her seen for an ultrasound just in case.

Otherwise, if she is comfortable and its not out of character, then we'd want to continue to monitor for the next few hours. Within the next 6 hours, we'd want her to start with some strong contractions and pass clear fluid. Once she does that or you see the sac, we'd want to see a pup within the next 20-30 minutes. Afterwards, the next pup usually follows every 20-30 minutes but mum may have a rest (without straining) between some. Of course, if you see her straining without producing a pup or she is at it for longer then 2 hours between them, those would be signs that we'd need her seen for delivery assistance.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet