Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My sheepdog has a dry nose and spot that came on so quickly

Customer Question

my sheepdog has a dry nose and white spot that came on so quickly that when i saw it i thought it was just a speck of lint
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: BEN 7 YEARS OLD
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about BEN?
Customer: NO
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $14 after the Veterinarian responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

This doesn't sound too serious. We can see pigmentation and de-pigmentation on the nose, gums and abdomen of dogs. This can happen secondary to irritations or just aging.

The one bad thing that could cause this is Melanoma- a type of cancer. It usually shows up as a black spot, but we can see some de-pigmented melanoma cells that show up white. I think it's a long shot here, but it's worth biopsying if it seems to be spreading quickly.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?