Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My dog has a film like lining over her eye and a lot of

Customer Question

my dog has a film like lining over her eye and a lot of discharge from it. What is it?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The thing over her eye is clear. And I keep having to clean around her eye. Is stuff coming out is white/brown.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 8 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

The most common cause of discharge and redness to one eye is a corneal ulcer or scratch to the cornea. That will lead to discharge, squinting and redness. It's diagnosed by doing a fluorescein stain test on the eye. An ulcer will pick up stain and show up under a blue light. The treatment is then with an antibiotic drop like Neo-Poly-Gram.

If the stain test is normal, it may be conjunctivitis. These are typically allergic in dogs. We treat with a steroid drop and it clears up quickly. Conjunctivitis is more often seen in both eyes, so if it's just one eye the ulcer is more likely.

Your vet should be able to get this diagnosed and treated fairly inexpensively.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.