PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

I think my 10 lb papillon ate my valtrex 1gm…I gave her 2

Customer Question

I think my 10 lb papillon ate my valtrex 1gm…I gave her 2 teaspoons of 3% hydrogen peroxide and she threw up right away but no pill was in her vomit…the pill is blue and her vomit which was quit a bit was white foam and yellow…no trace of blue
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bella she is 4 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bella?
Customer: she's my best friend
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 9 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. It appears that the Expert you were hoping to speak with is not currently available. I have stepped in to assist you in their absence. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

When did your dog consume the valtrex? When did she vomit?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I think she ate it about 25 minutes ago and she vomited with in 10 minutes of that.

It would be ideal to make her vomit again. If the valtrex does not come up, she's going to need to go to the ER to be monitored for signs of toxicity. She has consumed twice the dose needed to cause major problems, such as renal crystals. The potential for kidney damage at this dose is great.

There's more info on dosing with hydrogen peroxide here: http://www.sunrisepetclinicaz.com/vomiting.html

Since you were successful last time, repeating those steps would be wise and hopefully this time the tablet will come up.

If my answer has helped you, please take the time today to leave positive feedback for me. This is the only way that I will be compensated for assisting you. Your satisfaction is my primary focus, so if questions remain please respond so that I may finish answering your question before you rate my service.