PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My dog is a teacup chihuahua and she has drank some

Customer Question

Hi Pearl. My dog is a teacup chihuahua and she has drank some isopropyl alcohol. What am I to do?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your dog?
Customer: Her balance is off and her eyes are going crazy. Like her eyes are just rolling around in her head.
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** is a little over a year and a couple months old.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Coco?
Customer: Nothing that I can think of. She has been fine since last seeing the vet.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 11 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. It appears that the Expert you were hoping to speak with is not currently available. I have stepped in to assist you in their absence since Coco's symptoms are a sign of toxicity.

When did Coco ingest this?

When dogs ingest isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol), they often have a very quick onset of central nervous system symptoms, as you're seeing with her eyes moving around quickly. Because she's so small and her symptoms have already started, it's imperative that you get her to see a vet immediately. THIS IS A MEDICAL EMERGENCY.

Without treatment, dogs can die from the ingestion. Once she's at the vet's office, they will need to perform blood work, as well as IV fluid therapy with hospitalization. Depending on her symptoms at the time, they may need to administer other medications to stabilize her condition.

There's more information available here: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1677&aid=2253

If my answer has helped you, please take the time today to leave positive feedback for me. This is the only way that I will be compensated for assisting you. Your satisfaction is my primary focus, so if questions remain please respond so that I may finish answering your question before you rate my service.