Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

He swallowed a piece of rawhide chew bone whole. He gagged,

Customer Question

He swallowed a piece of rawhide chew bone whole. He gagged, was in distress (I thought he was choking) then he swallowed it. He weighs 14 pounds . He is now laying still
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Oliver and he is 2.5 years old.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Oliver?
Customer: Not really- he is very subdued and is not interested in water. He is calm at the moment
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $14 after the Veterinarian responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. How long ago did this happen?

You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
15 minutes ago
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please can you get back to me asap?

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. The fact he has now swallowed the rawhide it is good, these are natural products and the digestive juices in the stomach are capable of partially digesting it and softening it so the chances are it will just pass, so for present all you need do is to monitor your dog, you may expect to see a mild transient bout of indigestion over the next few hours but in most cases I would not expect to see worse than that.

2. However in a minority of case more severe symptoms could occur as a result of intestinal tract obstruction which can be a very serious situation. So if more serious symptoms occur such as lethargy, inappetance, vomiting, straining or signs of abdominal pain then you should have your dog checked over by a vet without delay.

In my experience most dog will come through this sort of incident without problem, but keep a good eye on your dog anyway ...

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Oliver is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the rawhide chew incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
While the answer was helpful the response time was slow as I felt that my dog was in crisis. When in crisis, I don't want to be asked if I want to talk on the phone.

Hello again,

I know communicating on the internet can be frustrating but I always suggest a phone call where owners are very concerned about the situation, you see this way I can call you back within 20 seconds and start advising you very quickly rather than taking ten minutes or so to type things out for you ...

However that does not matter, the main thing is Oliver's welfare, please update me on his condition today.

Regards,

Dr Scott

.