Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My frenchie started peeing blood, 12weeks her name is

Customer Question

my frenchie started peeing blood
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: 12weeks her name is ginger
JA: How old is Ginger?
Customer: 12 weeks
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ginger?
Customer: not really i just came home and noticed she vomitted and i saw a few blood spots over the place and then i noticed she was peeing blood
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $14 after the Veterinarian responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

At such a young age a pediatric bacterial urinary tract infection (UTI) is most common. Ginger's vet will attempt to collect urine in a sterile manner in order to perform a complete urinalysis looking for the tell-tale signs of bacterial infection - bacteria and/or elevated numbers of white blood cells in the urine. It may be difficult to collect urine in such a patient who is likely to be stranguric - frequent attempts to pass little or no urine - and so presumptive therapy for a UTI with a broad spectrum antibiotic such as potentiated amoxicillin would be prescribed. The course of therapy is usualy 10-14 days and 2 days after the course of antibiotics is over the urine should be rechecked to make sure that the urinary tract has, indeed, been sterilized.

Please check that Ginger didn't have access to an anticoagulant rodenticide which could also cause such bleeding.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you. will be going to my local vet tomorrow morning.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?