PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My dog has bumps that seem to secrete pus he licks at them

Customer Question

My dog has bumps that seem to secrete pus he licks at them and there has been hair loss .I have a picture if you would like to see them.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 9 months ago.

Please attach the pictures, that will help greatly.

There's an attachment function on the page, but you can also upload them to a site like photobucket or tiny pic and share the link back. I'll be standing by.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry that took so long

No problem at all. One moment here while I take a look

Ouch! That certainly looks painful. Are you seeing benefits from the neosporin and hydrocortisone?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
A little but I discoverd more tonight

It will take me about 15 minutes to type out a response. You're welcome to wait, if you like. There will also be an email that will come to you once I've responded.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok I'll wait

The neosporin and hydrocortisone are likely giving him some relief from the skin, but not treating anything from within.

I am going to give you directions on what to try at home. If, within the next few days, you don't see a great deal of improvement I would urge you to see your vet to have a steroid injection given to help with itching and also to get him started on some antibiotics.

1) It won't hurt to give him some antihistamines to help with itching. This is probably part of the reason that this all started. My favorite for dogs is Zyrtec. There is dosing information here: http://cheyennewest.com/antihistamines-for-dogs-cats/ Plan to give these daily until at least the symptoms have resided. If this continues to be an issue, he may need to be kept on antihistamines consistently or given prescription medications that do a better job of addressing allergies like Apoquel.

2) I would start using an antibacterial soap to clean the area once to twice a day with warm water and a soft wash cloth. Dry well after applying.

3) Since many problems in this general area are moist, I'd switch over to using something that will help dry out that moisture. Alternately you can use corn starch, and some people use talcum powder: http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=166038&catid=182485&aid=338666&aparam=166038&kpid=166038&CAWELAID=120142990000063948&CAGPSPN=pla Plan to apply this daily after you've bathed him. Reapply if the dusting is shaken off with activity.

4) If he's licking the area, he's not helping treatment and may be making thing worse. Consider an e-collar for him. They come in hard and soft varieties. So long as he cannot lick the area, that's the main concern. You can also pick these up at a pet store and youtube also had instructions on making your own at home: http://www.amazon.com/Comfy-Cone-E-Collar-Large-Black/dp/B000XY7CKE

You should see drastic improvement within the first 48 hours. If his symptoms worsen, however, I'd get your vet involved. these type of irritations can go from bad to worse quickly. In some cases, the pets need to be sedated, the area clipped and cleaned and then quite a few medications sent home with the owner to try to get ahead of it. Since he's dealing with this so early in the season, expect summer might be a bad one for him. Check him religiously for irritation and have a plan in place (presuming this works) to start treatment early. The earlier the better!

If my answer has helped you, please take the time today to leave positive feedback for me. This is the only way that I will be compensated for assisting you. Your satisfaction is my primary focus, so if questions remain please respond so that I may finish answering your question before you rate my service.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Trey. How is everything going?
PitRottMommy