Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

She was in heat then she started bleeding from her anal area

Customer Question

She was in heat then she started bleeding from her anal area has not stopped it is s very dark red. She is very weak and won't eat. She is a 11 year old engl8sh bull dog
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bonnie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bonnie?
Customer: No she was healthy and ok three days ago
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $14 after the Veterinarian responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Bonnie. How long has she been bleeding, please? If she has become weak from anemia, the source of the bleed needs to be clarified and addressed as soon as possible. An 11 year old bulldog might suffer from a bleeding tumor in her large bowel, rectum, or anus. Coagulation disorders such as thrombocytopenia (low blood platelets) or an anticogulant rodenticide poisoning are much less common causes of such bleeding.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok I know this may be out off place however do we have a price range or can you tell what type of treatment for this condition would be. Love my dog she is my baby but my finance are limited

I understand your financial constraints. It's putting the cart before the horse for me to prognosticate at this time because I don't know the source of the bleed. I think the best approach is to schedule an exam ($50-75?) and see what Bonnie's vet recommends be done. That's the time you need to ask for a written estimate before anything more is done. I'm concerned that at Bonnie's age her bleeding, weakness, and anorexia might not be fixable and so it's important that her vet understands that you have financial constraints and if he/she is only looking for something requiring significant expense (surgery, blood transfusion, e.g.) with little hope of cure, it's best not to pursue a diagnosis.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.