Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have owned, bred and shown dogs for over 40 years.
60411192

I have a Pomeranian and she has had soft stool this morning

Customer Question

Hello, I have a Pomeranian and she has had soft green stool this morning twice. Before the soft green stool, she had normal stool earlier. She's had a history of pancreatitis.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Those are the only abnormalities I've noticed today actually.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry about this concern for your dog.

I can understand why you might be worried about the color of her stools but green stools usually simply reflects rapid transit time in the colon and not much more than this. It's not specific to pancreatitis in other words. Neon blue or green feces, though, may reflect ingestion of a rodenticide (rat poison) and would be considered very serious but I'm assuming that this isn't the case here.

The possible causes for a soft stool range from dietary indiscretion to internal parasites to viral/bacterial infections to IBD...just to name a few possibilities.

Since she's not otherwise acting other than her normal self, I have a few suggestions which may help:

1. Feed a bland diet of boiled, skinless, boneless chicken breast and 20-minute white rice, several smaller meals through the day. No dog food or treats.

2. Start a probiotic such as Forti Flora which may be available at local pet or grain stores.

3. As long as she's not vomiting nor currently taking any steroids or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication, Pepto Bismol can be given.

The dose would be 1 ml per 10 lbs of body weight 2-3 times aday.

Pepto bismol should not be given to vomiting dogs since it contains salicylates (the active ingredient in Aspirin) which can irritate the stomach. It can also turn the stools a greyish or slightly greenish color.

In most cases, symptomatic treatment as outlined above will be sufficient to return the stools to a normal color and consistency.

I hope this helps. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 8 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb