Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

I have a female American bully mix with Pitbull and she's

Customer Question

I have a female American bully mix with Pitbull and she's only 5.5 months old, but a 2 yr old shih tzu was on top of her a few days ago and was wondering if she might be pregnant?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. We need to be extra careful with pregnancies, so we'll need to connect you with the Veterinarian ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Not at the moment only that my puppy is 5 months and a half
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $14 after the Veterinarian responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Most female dogs go into heat between 6-12 months but it can be a little earlier or a little later. When a dog is in heat, the vulva swells and there is usually blood show of some sort though a dog may clean themselves enough that it isn't noticable. So you can check to see if her vulva is swollen which would signal her being in heat and able to be impregnated. If she is, you want to keep males away from her.

Now if the shih tzu was just on top of her and not humping, then that may have veen play behavior. Dogs will even hump one another in dominance which is also unrelated to breeding. However, when breeding takes place, dogs achieve a tie (stuck together) when the male ejaculates into the female. If the dogs were tied, then there ould be a good chance of her becoming pregnant.

If you witnessed a tie, you could have her spayed as soon as she comes out of heat and stop the pregnancy in that manner if you had no plans on breeding her. Otherwise, you would need to be prepared to deal with possibly taking care of any puppies if she does not care for them due to her age. Most dogs don't have problems even this young, but it is better if she doesn't breed until she is older.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She's always running up the street to where the shih tzu is and he licks her behind and all. The dog at times doesn't tie up to her, but that one day he was tied up to her. And her vulva is swelled up yet at the moment, but no blood. Could she be pregnant.?

If a tie was achieved which you indicate did occur, then the odds are that she was impregnanted and you should expect pups about 63 days from the tie. Most dogs don't allow breeding the first week of heat which is probably the times she was running up there and he was licking her. He was waiting for her to be in the right stage of heat for breeding. So I would be expecting pups in about 2 months unless you go ahead and get her spayed in a couple of weeks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What could be other ways to find out?

Sorry for the delay. I had to get the dogs in. There is no way to find out until about day 21-25 and then the vet could do an ultrasound to check for pups or at around 30 days he could do a blood test. However once that has occurred most vets won't spay to abort the pups. Before that time there is no way to know for sure she is pregnant.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?