Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

In the last 7 days she has lost considerable wieght, however

Customer Question

in the last 7 days she has lost considerable wieght, however her belly seems large
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: bailey
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bailey?
Customer: 6 yr old basset/mix
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $14 after the Veterinarian responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with *****, *****. Weight loss but a swollen abdomen suggests an abdominal effusion - a collection of fluid in the abdominal space. This is seen with right-sided heart failure, a decreased amount of albumin (a small protein) in the blood stream - either because the liver isn't able to produce enough albumin or Bailey is losing too much albumin through her urine or bowels; inflammation from infection or neoplasia (cancer) inside the abdomen, and rarer causes. Bailey's vet will need to perform a thorough physical exam on Bailey paying particular attention to Bailey's heart and including analysis of a small sample of the fluid and blood and urine tests.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.