PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My 11 yr old shitzu has what looks like shingles under her

Customer Question

My 11 yr old shitzu has what looks like shingles under her front arm and 2 larger patches on the mamory gland. My vet said it was dermatitis prescribed prednisone, anti-biotics and a gel. That was 2 months ago and it has not improved one bit.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: Her energy level has decreased, as her eating habits. She also has a tumour about the size of an egg; she's had this for more than a year, the shingle looking lesions began 3 months ago.
JA: Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Moshee female just turned 11 years old a week ago
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Moshee?
Customer: The vet that had looked at the tumour said it would be slow growing and if it didn't affect her we could leave it as we had decided that removal was not what we wanted for her. She was fine til the lesions appeared either by her scratching or something she may have picked up at the groomers, as we had her groomed in December and there was only the lump from the tumour on her underside.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $14 after the Veterinarian responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Moshee. Can you upload a closeup photo(s) of these skin areas to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see the icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Tried sending you photos, did not work. So I will try to explain so you can envision.... looks like a deep wound that does not healover with a scab. It has bumps like pimples under her arm and inflamed as a bit red in colour. Looks like what I would say flesh eating disease(although I've never seen). Would it be cancer?

Please have***@******.*** help you upload the photos. I really must see them. Yes, a cancer is a consideration whenever a nonhealing wound is present and her energy level and appetite decreasing suggestsmore than a problem isolated to her skin - a cancer, perhaps.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I live in Canada so please reply by e-mail.

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to communicate with customers outside of this venue. Please stay in this conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Great so I just spent $ for nothing?

No, I'll opt out which will allow other experts to enter the conversation and who might be able to reply by email.

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 9 months ago.

Hi Lennise, thanks for reaching out to us today.

I'm sorry that Dr. Salkin was unable to assist you earlier. I am going to try to help you instead.

There are policies through the website that we must follow. You will find that my responses will come through via email, but you'll need to come back to the site so that I can receive your response.

Like Dr. Salkin, I'd really like to see the pictures. If you are able, another site may be easier to upload them to. Most of the customers I assist use photo bucket or tiny pic. These are free services.

If you'd like to have me continue assisting you, just respond and I'll be happy to help you further. It sounds like you've had a frustrating experience in the past with trying to reach a conclusion to Moshee's medical concerns. Hopefully your experience with us will be a positive one and I can assist you in finding a treatment that works well for her.