PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

I have an Akita and have a problem with ticks, as quickly as

Customer Question

I have an Akita and have a problem with ticks, as quickly as i remove them more seen to appear, also the dogs skin belly area etc not looking too healthy where he's been bitten and scratching,, tried many products to eradicate them but no luck
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: With the larger engorged ticks no matter how carefully i remove them they seem to bleed a little, especially one on the lower eye lid, also have these black soot like patches, are these eggs?
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Have two brother & sister from same litter Zeus & Pandora both 2 & half years. She had ticks first but by separating them managed to almost eradicate hers
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: Yes I now live in Brazil (18months) on the coast And I appreciate its not the best cilmate for Akitas and the worst for breeding parasites like ticks. who I brought out here from England where I never saw one tick. I think they got them from the kennel last Nov as prior we never any
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 9 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. The first thing you have to do is treat the yard and home for ticks. You can have them on a good tick preventative, but if the population is not controlled, chances are you will continue to see them. I am not sure what tick preventatives are available in Brazil, but if you can get a Preventic collar for them, I think that works very well. The black debris is probably just debris from the oil glands, and you will see some redness and irritation where the ticks were attached. In some instances, that may require oral antibiotics from your vet. I would make sure that you are getting the head of the tick out and not leaving it when you remove them as well. That can cause a nasty reaction if the head is left. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Trust me I've scrubbed the yard and followed all the expert advice, the preventatives that you, the vets and others recommend (I done enough research on Ticks to get a PHD) are not working, frontline, advantage, Virbac's effipro , medicated shampoos, natural soaps, Everything that experts recommend. trust me these ticks are hard to eradicate.
Given that Frontline type products (applicvations to back of neck ) aren't working. Think because his coat is so thick they are not all effected
Therefore I am thinking of lightly spraying the dog with a weak solution of the insectercide CYPERMETHRIN which they use here for sheep & cow dipping and have been told people use this to solve the problem on the dog and yard etc I will be most careful and make the dog wear a plastic hood after so he can't lick until its dry. What is your opinion?
Expert:  Dr. John replied 9 months ago.

I am going to opt out and see if another vet has an opinion on this one. I am not that familiar with the product. I will see if someone else is. I just know it has a narrow margin of safety.

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 9 months ago.

Good afternoon, JACustomer. I'm sorry that Dr. John was unable to help you earlier. I hope I am able to help.

The information available to us, as Dr. John pointed out, is that Cypermethrin is toxic to dogs especially when they consume the concentrate. Once it's dry, the toxicity level is much reduced. This chemical is a pyrethrin and you can read all about pyrethrin toxicities online. Since you've done so much research on ticks, I suspect you've likely come across this information in the past. There's more information here, if you need it: http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/pyrethrin-pyrethroid-poisoning-in-dogs/8328

What information I can find on the chemical for dosing states that it needs to be under 1% solution, which may still be too low to kill ticks. This is something I would consider before using it.

One thing I did not see mentioned in your discussion with Dr. John is the use of a tablet, or product that works "from the inside out". As you have observed, because of their very thick coat it's hard to get topicals down to the skin. I, like you, live in an area that is densely populated with ticks and summers here are a nightmare. From basically February to November (and occasionally year round) we can expect ticks to be out en force.

Because of this, and because I do occasionally wind up with chows and other breeds with dense coats like the Akita, I have started using two products together (fleas are also an issue here, as well). The first product is Nexgard (http://www.1800petmeds.com/NexGard+Chewables-prod10356.html). This tablet is given once monthly and prevents both fleas and ticks. Because it does not work from the "outside in" you don't have to worry about 1) a densely coated pet who won't receive the benefit of the topical (2) a pet who is frequently bathed, groomed or who likes to play in water. With Nexgard, all that is entirely safe because you absolutely cannot wash it off or otherwise lessen its efficacy.

The second product is the Seresto collar: http://www.1800petmeds.com/Seresto-prod11501.html Up until now, I have never seen a flea/tick collar that has worked. Unlike many collars that don't work, this one works...and works for up to 8 months (nearly long enough to last our whole season, so we apply them March to October, personally). Because you're working with thicker coated dogs, the most effective way to use this would be to trim the hair down (not necessarily to the skin) but at least to where you could easily feel the skin when you reached down to their neck. They can also wear a regular collar on top of this collar to protect it from being pulled off. They're even slightly stretchy, so I make them tight enough to fit flush against the skin in our dogs but it makes it possible should I want to remove it for the dog to be bathed.

If you were hoping to find different information and my answer has not helped you, just let me know. I'll be happy to opt out just like Dr. John did and allow a different Expert to step in, who may have more information for you.

If my answer has helped you, please take the time today to leave positive feedback for me. This is the only way that I will be compensated for assisting you. Your satisfaction is my primary focus, so if questions remain please respond so that I may finish answering your question before you rate my service.