Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My golden retriever had surgery on s eye brow and almost

Customer Question

My golden retriever had surgery on his eye brow and almost immediately loss muscle causing the eye to drop and he probably cannot see out of it. A few weeks later he has lost the muscle of the other side but can still see out of it. He has trouble drinking and eating and slobbers all of the time. He is still very active, running about 5 miles per day. We have him on steroids and they have helped some.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Jack, 9 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jack?
Customer: He has always been very active and still is.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Jack. There appears to be multiple cranial nerve deficits at this time. His facial muscle wasting in conjunction with his trouble drinking and eating are consistent with a diffuse encephalopathy (brain disorder) such as brain tumor in a 9 year old Golden Retriever. A form of masticatory muscle myositis involving the periocular musculature (temporal and pterygoid muscles) in Goldens should also be considered. This can be a challenge to clarify without a thorough neurologic exam including MRI as performed by a specialist veterinary neurologist (please see here: www.acvim.org) to whom Jack's vet should consider referring Jack to.

Can you tell me, please, what type of surgery was performed on Jack's eyebrow?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The vet was not specific about what was removed, possibly some type of insect bite that turned bad or a tumor. He did not say it was any type of cancer. An MRI was not performed.

Thank you. I don't see a relationship between Jack's surgery and his current symptoms, then, unless the anesthesia and stress of surgery incited a masticatory muscle myositis with ocular involvement. Have you been given differential diagnoses different in addition to what I've mentioned?