Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog is having a ccup/heaving type cough. It awakens her

Customer Question

My dog is having a hiccup/heaving type cough. It awakens her in het sleep...any ideas
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: She is 15 and her name is***** has been to vet. Blood test are normal, x-ray of stomach, chest and heart are normal
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sam?
Customer: She is on antibiotics for enlarged thyroid and on a small dose of trazadone
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you upload a video of Sam's "hiccup/heaving type cough"? You'll need to upload it to an external site such as YouTube and then give me the link to it. I don't understand why antibiotics would be prescribed for an enlarged thyroid which is usually due to cancer in an elderly dog. Please clarify. Could the enlarged thyroid be causing her "cough"? Such a cancer is usually malignant and metastasizes locally.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?