Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Names ***** *****, I have an English mastiff that has had

Customer Question

Names ***** *****, I have an English mastiff that has had two pups. I wasn't present during, and I don't know how many she had in her. She was discharging a dark green liquid for a good two hours after I found out she had the pups, I've been checking on her and the pups periodically but she still acts like she's having contractions and now the discharge it's more of a lighter green. Should I be worried?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: That's all I got
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In regards ***** ***** question, I am quite worried about your lass. Green discharge suggests a possible rupture of a placenta or a sign that the next pup is passing stool in distress. It is a sign we often seen with dystocia and with pups in breech position (coming backwards). Therefore, if she is contracting but not passing a pup and it has been longer then 20 minutes; then we likely have an emergency situation and need to get her to her vet to either remove this pup or consider a C-section to get the rest out before she fatigues here.

Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/or via

http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Do they have contractions after birthing all the pups they have?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

They can have some residual ones but usually we see contractions when we still have pups to pass.

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
whats the longest amount of time between pups passing that you heard of?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

If she isn't having contractions, then we can monitor for 2 hours. But if they are, we don't want to leave them over 45 minutes tops.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet