Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog caught kennel cough from another dog while at the

Customer Question

My dog caught kennel cough from another dog while at the vet...its escalated to a lot of vomiting and some blood. He's eating and wants to play but his breathing becomes very heavy with the hacking coughs followed by vomit.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No...I've been giving him the cough suppressants the vet prescribed.
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Oscar and he's 2yrs old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Oscar?
Customer: No...however we do have two other dogs. I know they are supseptible.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Oscar is a chocolate lab and weighs 64 lbs...

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. I must have dealt with many hundreds of kennel cough cases over the last twenty five years, and the situation is this. Most kennel cough cases are much like a human cold in so much as they will normally resolve on their own after a few weeks, and very often treatment in terms of drugs is not necessary but us vets prescribe non specific simple treatment such as over the counter type cough suppressants.

2. But now and again a simple case of kennel cough can turn into a more widespread infection of some sort including pneumonia and do wonder from your description including the blood if this is not what is going on in Oscar's case. When this is happening or there is a suspicion that this might be the case then this is the time to resort to prescription drugs such as a course of antibiotics. Probably your best course of action is to call your vet and discuss this option with him or her.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning kennel cough ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Vet_Answers