Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog was vomiting dark black vomit. I called the vet

Customer Question

My dog was vomiting dark black vomit. I called the vet suggested no food for 12 hours and Pepcid ac. I did she drank water no vomit but still does not want to eat. What do you suggest?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did The eat anything unusual?
Customer: No. She has been like this for two days now. She vomited really big messes like 10 times yesterday. Now tie no food or water for 12 hours and the Pepcid ac she has not vomited but still does not want to eat the chicken and rice. I do not know what else to do and
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about The?
Customer: I need to know what else I need to attempt today. The vet is closed today.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

You're necessarily constrained to continuing her fast and allowing her to drink a fluid/electrolyte replacer such as the infant Pedialyte (or generics). I'm not as concerned about her lack of calories as I am her hydration status and electrolyte balance. Dark black vomit suggests digested blood and, hence, severe gastrointestinal inflammation or ulceration. If you have the option to see another vet, I encourage your doing so. I would hospitalize such a patient on IV fluids while awaiting results of blood and urine tests as well as abdominal X-rays or ultrasound. I would avoid giving any medications or feeding orally; instead, give medications parenterally (any manner but orally) and consider parenteral feeding through the IV line.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.