Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian
9138059

He keeps shaking s head & licking s lips and can't get

Customer Question

He keeps shaking his head & licking his lips and can't get comfortable
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Roman. He is 6 1/2 yellow lab
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Roman?
Customer: He was just outside in the rain. Waiting for me. Then when I got home he started doing this. He also was diagnosed with pancreatitis (4 years ago) and eats Royal Canin Rx dogfood
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $14 after the Veterinarian responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 9 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your yellow lab boy Roman. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 9 months ago.

Hi there,

Thank you for your patience. Roman's symptoms tonight are a little vague, but the lip licking and difficulty getting comfortable could definitely be a sign of abdominal pain. This could potentially be from an early gastroenteritis, a flare up of his pancreatitis, or just a bit of cramping and nausea unrelated to either of these. We also have to consider other possibilities here including anything from a poisoning or toxicity, to an internal organ problem.

You will need to keep an eye on Roman for another hour or two yet if you can. Encourage him to drink plenty of water and hopefully he has not issues with this, or with keep it down. With hold his food until the morning, then continue on with his prescribed diet as per usual. For now, you may also want to try him with a little pepcid. The typical dose for this type of situation is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Pepcid in dogs online here: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid .

Over the next hour or two, please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

If Roman continues to seem uncomfortable, new symptoms develop, or any of the parameters above don't seem right, you are best to play it safe and get him seen tonight. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.