Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

Our dog has a mass in her right lung and now thrush. We know

Customer Question

Our dog has a mass in her right lung and now thrush. We know that she is suffering. Our vet put her on an antibiotic and some prednisone for the cancer. She is eating some but in general is miserable. When do you decide to put them down? She still is eating some and going outside and trying to be a part of the family but I can see it is getting harder.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: her name is ***** ***** is a Lhasa. She is 13 1/2 years old and I have to say, a tough little dog. This is her third time around with cancer. The other two were small growths that we had removed. The last growth was on her should and we had that taken off four months ago. I think whatever it was spread quickly. It seems that she has really gone downhill in the last two weeks. The vet also gave me some pain killer due to the lesions in her mouth - painful. She did a biopsy yesterday and sent it off. I don't think we will know much until maybe Monday or Tuesday. I can tell something is going on with her breathing as it seems like she is snoring heavily when she lays down.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Teddi?
Customer: She is a very emotional dog. She is very verbal and shows her feelings like no dog I have ever seen. She is eating her breakfast and dinner if it is chicken that we cook or lamb. Not interested at all in her dog food. I have heard that the prednisone makes thrush worse. Should we quit giving it to her? We know her time is limited and I don't want to see her totally quit eating because of the sores in her mouth.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $14 after the Veterinarian responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years. I am so sorry Teddi, is having to go though this terrible time. I understand your concern with her being so ill, and have been through this situation several times with my fur babies. I see you have done the best for her and given her the best care possible, It is always hard to know when it is time to help them rest. I usually go on several factors which are how much pain there is, the ability to eat and enjoy the food and the quality of life. If they can enjoy the family time. To help the mouth, there is a liquid Diet called Dog Sure which can be fed for . Dog sure is the canine version of Ensure It si Vanilla flavored and contains the nutrition she needs. It would be much easier on her mouth. As far as the thrush there are some medications the Vet can give to help with it. You never want to take Teddi off a medication without Vet approval. The Prednisone reduces Inflammation so it is easier for her to breathe. At this point in tie it is important to keep her as comfortable as possible. If it gets to the point the breathing continues to get worse, or she no longer enjoys being with the family or the pain gets worse, at that time you will want to consider Euthanasia. I know it is a hard decision to make, but it is better to end the suffering if it gets to that point. I am so sorry you and Teddi have to through this rough time.

Joan