Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My pit is 9 after she drinks water its like she drank to

Customer Question

My pit bull is 9 after she drinks water its like she drank to fast she coughs and sounds like something is stuck in her throat shes been outside dog til about month ago now shes in house what could be wrong
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Jasmine
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jasmine?
Customer: Well she also has like cyst or mass on her back its going out not in like knot her eyes are water and like dark circles around eyes im single mom of four one with downs dont jave alot of money but ive took in 4 dogs that was in a puppy mills about 9 years ago sjes had her shots and all
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $14 after the Veterinarian responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Customer: But dont have money to take to dr
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

The coughing could be one of a few things. It could be heartworm disease, kennel cough, bronchitis, pneumonia, heart disease or lung cancer.

You really need to start with an exam to listen for a heart murmur and noises (crackles or wheezes) in the lungs. That helps to narrow down the list. I would also run a heartworm test if she is not on year round heartworm preventative. Lastly, I'd shoot x-rays of the lungs. That should nail down the diagnosis.

For now, you can give an over the counter anti-tussive at home. Robitussin DM is safe in dogs. You can give 1 teaspoon orally every 8-12 hours, as needed.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.