Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Lake Chatuge Animal Hospital
77721119

10 yr old beagle, outside dog,coughing X3 weeks. Local Vet

Customer Question

10 yr old beagle, outside dog,coughing X3 weeks. Local Vet found no heart worms, temp,blood work ,palpation within normal limits.
giving chlophenormine 4mg Q12H X 7 days
Category: Dog
Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am Dr RB and I am licensed veterinarian. I am assuming that Brownie has a history of allergies and this is the reason for Chlorpheniramine? Has the Chlorpheniramine helped the coughing to subside at all? This medication is an anti-histamine and typically used in cats due to lower mg content of the medication. The problem may be with dosing; how much does Brownie weigh?

Can you explain the coughing in more detail? Is anything produced from the cough or is a dry hacking cough? If productive, is it mucous or clear in color?

Did the veterinarian detect/hear any evidence of heart murmur? Coughing can be symptom of heart disease, especially if you hare noticing other changes in Brownie such as decreased energy or getting tired easily. Does he have any of these symptoms?

Hello, I am following up on Brownie to see if I can assist you further?

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Hi David,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Brownie. How is everything going?
Ola Barrett