Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

Chihuahua, He cries alot right now when he sleeping if I

Customer Question

Chihuahua
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He cries alot right now when he sleeping if I touch any part of his body he scream loud like something hurts him but I check him all ready but he oh kk ... he walk oh kk too and eats but idk why he cries in hurt wen I touching him
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.

Hello.

Given the signs, this is most likely IVDD (intervertebral disc disease). This is where a disc ruptures or herniates in the back pressing on the spinal cord which causes weakness and nerve roots which causes pain. Signs can be as mild as reluctance to walk/ climb stairs to as severe as full paralysis. Many dogs present like your dog with just signs of pain.

Diagnosis is made on neuro exam and then can be confirmed with advanced imaging like MRI, CT or myelogram.

Treatment is based on the stage of the disease:
> Mild weakness/ pain can be treated with strict exercise restriction and anti-inflammatory meds (Rimadyl, Deramaxx) + other pain meds (Gabapentin, Tramadol). Crate confinement for the majority of the day with only short leash walks outside is key, and I like to do this for 1-3 weeks.
> Severe neurologic deficits and paralysis require back decompressive surgery to correct.

It sounds like your dog will do fine with the more conservative management.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you !!! That help my answer! ! Along he healthy! !
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.

You're very welcome. Happy to help.