PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My dog swallowed a 5ML bottle of fluorometholone ophthalmic

Customer Question

My dog swallowed a 5ML bottle of fluorometholone ophthalmic suspension, USP .1%. Its a topical steroid eye drop for allergies and dry eyes. He's an 80lb goldendoodle
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dave. Did Kevin swallow the bottle whole?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just got the prescription today and took 4 drops for myself and then he swallowed if

What an unfortunately occurrence. Leave it to the dogs to keep your night interesting :)

The bottle is quite small based on what I can find on the internet. Because Kevin is so large, it should pass without any problems. This should happen in the next 24-48 hours. It will be imperative that you keep an eye on his stools to be sure of when it's been eliminated.

In the meanwhile, it will be important to feed Kevin some fiberous foods to keep things moving through his GI tract. If he's not already eating at least 2 meals a day, I would increase his food intake as well. You can add pure canned pumpkin to his meals, a few tablespoons each time.

You do want to keep an eye out for vomiting, diarrhea, cramping stomach, attempts to vomit without production, straining to defecate, tenderness in the abdomen, etc. as these signs can indicate that the bottle has blocked his intestine along the way. Having him seen immediately upon those symptoms starting will be imperative since we know he ate something he wasn't supposed to eat.

If my answer has helped you, please take the time to leave positive feedback for me. This is the only way I am compensated for my time. Your satisfaction is my focus, so if there are other questions you have that I can answer on this topic please reply back and let me know.

Checking in, Dave. How is Kevin feeling?