Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

I'm ***** *****. Pregnant Standard poodle, due 3/25.

Customer Question

Hi, I'm ***** *****. Pregnant Standard poodle, due 3/25. Anorexia, vomiting, diarrhea
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Last saturday she vomited thru the night a few times, which was the first times. 2nd pregnancy, thought this was her normal pregnancy vomiting symptom Then she became anorexic from then and stopped eating plain hard food. Would eat decreased amts w/ canned food mixed in. But probably 1/2 the amts as usual. Not the dog to typically get dietary indescretion
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 9 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

What you are seeing is not normal during pregnancy. I feel it is possible your dog has developed a uterine infection. Pyometra generally occurs 60-70 days after a heat cycle. It is usually seen in older unspayed females but can be seen in any age. It is diagnosed by ultrasound showing fluid in the uterus. There are two types of Pyometra (open and closed cervix) Symptoms of open cervix Pyometra are a vaginal discharge that may be pus or bloody, lethargy, anorexia, increased thirst and urination, vomiting and diarrhea, and abdominal swelling though the dog remains fairly healthy due to the infection draining from the body. Closed cervix Pyometra symptoms are the same without much of a discharge, they appear very ill, there is usually weight loss and abdominal swelling and is much more extreme. Dehydration, shock and death can occur if not treated aggressively.

http://petcare.suite101.com/article.cfm/pyometra

If it was only a day with these symptoms, I wouldn't be too concerned but after this amount of time and her loss of appetite as well, I'd have her seen as soon as possible. I do have to warn you that in most cases an emergency spay is done to remove the infected urterus so the source of the infection is gone. Caught early, a vet might try antibiotics, but it sounds like she is pretty ill already and needs to be seen as soon as possilbe. This can be deadly. I wished I had bettter news for you.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

I forgot to hit the rating button. Please rate on this post rather than the earlier one.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?