Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My name is ***** ***** I have a 12 year old female Doberman

Customer Question

My name is ***** ***** I have a 12 year old female Doberman spade and has vaginal bleeding
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It's spots most times but sometimes there will be alot of blood in the morning
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

That blood could be coming from one of a couple placed. It could be coming from the bladder or urinary tract. It could also be coming from the uterine stump where she was spayed. Lastly, it could be coming from the vaginal vault.

I would first start by getting a urinalysis done. I would do a cystocentesis where urine is removed from the bladder with a needle. This bypasses the vaginal vault, so we don't confound our results. If there is blood, then I would x-ray and look for stones. Otherwise, treat with an antibiotic assuming an infection.

If the urine is clear, then I would do a vaginal exam and look for a source of bleeding. It could be an infection (vaginitis) or a mass in the vagina. Mast cell tumors and other soft tissue tumors are not uncommonly found in the vaginal vault. If found, they can be removed and biopsied.

I hope this helps give you some ideas on how to move forward. Let me know if you have any other questions.