DogDoc4U
DogDoc4U, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years
53976849

My two year old dog ate all the buttons off my blouse about

Customer Question

My two year old dog ate all the buttons off my blouse about five he brought up seven hours later took him to the vet who gave him a shot and sent him home. Is it a cause for concern?
Category: Dog
Expert:  DogDoc4U replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry you both are in this situation! Can you please clarify a few things for me:
- What does your dog weigh?
- Did he bring up all the buttons? How large were they?
- How is he acting now? Any further vomiting or lethargy?
- Was an x-ray taken?
- What was the injection? Does it say on your receipt if it was cerenia, famotidine, etc?

Thank you

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He weighs approx 60 kgs. The buttons were normal I didn't see him bring any up. He is sleeping now and seems a bit livelier no X ray was taken as I only noticed now. Not sure about antibiotic

If he is 60 kg (132 pounds) then unless these are unusually large buttons he should be able to pass them. Has he had any vomiting at all? Reduced appetite?

1.) Since this is a new finding, feed a bulky meal of white rice and lean boiled meat with water mixed in which should help push the buttons through to the other end

2.) Take a nice walk to help move the material through. Not running around but a leash walk which helps encourage emptying of the stomach and digestion

3.) In about 6 hours repeat the meal which again is used to help bulk up the buttons to hopefully push them through

4.) Monitor for signs of the buttons coming out the other end in the next 24-48 hours

5.) If possible, every 12 hours continue the long leash walks to help encourage gi motility and pushing the foreign material through the intestinal tract. This gives the best success of passing the buttons along with bulky meals

This is the difficult part, the watching and waiting because all we can do is see if they pass on their own but if he does start to have vomiting please return to the vet to take an x-ray and hopefully locate the buttons to see if they will have an issue passing

I hope this makes sense but please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Are you having issues with the chat? I apologize if this is the case and I can send the question to customer service but it will delay our conversation a while since it will be locked...

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today, I am online another 30 minutes before taking a break but I truly hope that your dog has no ill effects from this ingestion...

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you

Good evening, I wanted to check in on you and your dog to see if there was any vomiting or progression in the buttons moving through the intestinal tract? I would love an update when you are able...

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!