Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My boxer, she is 7 years old, has been losing weight. She is

Customer Question

My boxer, she is 7 years old, has been losing weight. She is very hungry all the time and eats well. I cook for them protein (hearts, livers and gizzards and ground beef) brown rice and vegetable, green apple and blueberries..... But she does lose weight.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: her name is Harlow
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Harlow?
Customer: not really.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 9 months ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible...

Is Harlow on any medications?

Have you noticed any change in her fur or skin?

Does she seem to be drinking more than usual?

Does she seem to be urinating more often?

When was the last time she had a complete physical with bloodwork?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
she had blood work done last Saturday.... Everything seems normal. Apparently, something might be wrong with her pancreas....
Expert:  Lisa replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

An issue with the pancreas, regardless if it's something like an inflammation of the pancreas (called pancreatitis) or a malabsorption problem (called pancreatic insufficiency) can absolutely cause the symptoms you're seeing in your dog.

Of course, there are many other issues with the pancreas that could be causing it. You can read more about them here: http://www.merckvetmanual.com/pethealth/dog_disorders_and_diseases/digestive_disorders_of_dogs/disorders_of_the_pancreas_in_dogs.html

If this were my dog, I'd increase her calories but not switch her diet. Rapid changes in the kinds of food you're giving can cause more irritation to the pancreas, so I'd maybe just increase the amount you're feeding her, or add in another meal during the day to help with calorie intake.

I'd also give the vet a call and see if he thinks that she should be retested in a few weeks. Sometimes a skewed blood value can be temporary or even human error, so in an otherwise healthy dog, we usually just retest in a few weeks once the system has had a chance to get back to normal.

If that test comes back still showing a possible pancreas issue, then it'll be time to explore other possibilities and/or get a referral to a veterinary specialist.

I hope this helps.