Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My dog got t by a car on Thursday. He got out in pretty good

Customer Question

Hi, my dog got hit by a car on Thursday. He got out in pretty good shape, no broken bones, didn't need a stitch (he was taken to the animal hospital immediately and we went to a vet this past weekend, so everything's been looked at). But I just wanted to see what normal behaviors might be from him as he recovers. For instance, he's been urinating in the house a lot.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
JA: How old is In the house?
Customer: Nash, and he's 1 year and 2 months
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about In the house?
Customer: I don't think so. He's mostly just grumpy, urinating in the house, on the bed last night. He used to go by the door and nudge some bells I have hanging from it to let me know he wants to go out but he hasn't been doing that.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

My guess would be that the inappropriate urination is secondary to pain. Dogs that are painful, as I'm sure he is after being hit, may be reluctant to go outside or do any stairs on the way out of the house.

I would want to have him on some good pain relief. I usually go with an anti-inflammatory (Rimadyl) + something else for pain (Gabapentin or Tramadol). This usually gets them comfortable enough to return to normal routines.

My guess is that the urinating in the house should only last a week or two. After that, the pain should be gone and he should go back to his normal activity.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.