Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My dog just ingested a moderate amount of sewing thread. She

Customer Question

My dog just ingested a moderate amount of sewing thread. She is a 4 year old Chihuahua. There is no thread hanging out of her mouth. I immediately fed her some of her dog food which she readily ate. She does not appear to be in any distress, at least not yet. Is this an emergency situation, or can I bulk her up and hope this passes through her intestines?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Tia.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tia?
Customer: She was heartworm positive when we adopted her last July. She was promptly seen by a vet cardiologist and started on the arsenic protocol which was completed last November. She seems to be in good health. She will be retested in April.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 9 months ago.

Hi Ja Customer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

The thread will likely pass through her system without any problems. However, you do need to monitor her for several days looking for vomiting, diarrhea, a loss of appetite or an inability to defecate. You will want to go for smaller meals more often and bulk up the diet with some canned pumpkin on the food (not pie filling). Here is a site on obstructions which is what you are monitoring for.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/gastric-stomach-foreign-body-in-dogs/page1.aspx

The other thing you want to remember is that if you do notice any string hanging from the rectum to not pull on it. Cut it off rather than pull. Pulling on the thread may end up injuring the intestines as it can wrap around the intestines. So just cut any hanging pieces flush with the rectum and let them come out naturally.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well.