Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM for 19 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

My dog was running with her ball and now she is non weight

Customer Question

My dog was running with her ball and now she is non weight bearing on her front leg... it's been 7 hours no improvement
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 9 months ago.

Hi, this is Dr. Gabby. Is it getting worse? Did you check between her paw pads and wiggle all her toes? Do you see any swelling or feel any heat?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I've checked her feet doesn't seem to be anything there.. I wouldn't say she's getting worse seems to be the same . She doesn't really act in pain other than not putting weight on it... she's been sleeping most the day but will try and follow me around when I leave.. she's warm near her elbow which I originally suspected to be where the pain was coming from, however she seems just as warm on the other side

Thank you,

Usually if they are non-weight bearing this many hours after an injury an x-ray is recommended to rule out a fracture.

So ideally she should see the emergency vet today.

If that is not an option, keep her as still as possible. Do not let her walk around unless she has to relieve herself outside.

If she is not on any medications and she does not have any health issues then you can give her aspirin. Though as you can imagine aspirin is not strong enough for the pain of a fracture but it could help a bit.

5 mg of aspirin per each pound of dog every 12 hours. Give it with food to help prevent gastrointestinal upset.

Does that help? Do you have any additional questions?

If you are all set please rate my answer by clicking on the stars.

Thanks!

I will be logged on for a few hours if anything changes or comes up.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Gabby