Anna
Anna, Dog Expert, Biologist
Experience:  35 years training & showing dogs. Written articles for Dog Fancy, Dogs, Dog World.
6012901

I just found a broken tick on my husky, it looks bad. should

Customer Question

Hi, my name is***** just found a broken tick on my husky, it looks bad. should i be worried? if i take the dog to the vet tomorrow is it too late, can he get any kind of infection?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I felt a bump on his coat and when me and my daughter look at it closely it was looking like a tick that just popped and there is still a small "something " stuck in his skin, there is a little bleeding and it looks raw...
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Anna replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in dog health, and over 40 years of experience in the dog field. I'll be happy to help you today. Start by using tweezers to pull out what is left of the tick. If it bleeds a little, that is OK because the blood can help clean the bitten area. Then clean the wound with Betadine (sold in first aid departments of discount stores and pharmacies). Follow that with a thin layer of plain Neosporin. Ticks do carry some infections, but such an infection will not show up right away. Once some time has passed, your vet can do a blood test to see if there is any infection. You can call your vet tomorrow to see when the test can be done. Your dog is not in any immediate danger. If you have more questions, let me know in a reply. I hope everything will be fine. Anna

Expert:  Anna replied 9 months ago.

Hi again,

Did you get the tick out without a problem?

Do you need any additional information?

Anna